Sunday, January 16, 2011

Someone Should Have Warned Me

If you are in a great, chipper mood today, be warned: you might not want to read this! Inside this blog, you will find a lot of "Debby Downer" (with slight humor however) because I need to vent.

I had a really good childhood. Well, my parents split up when I was 8, but because of that, I now have 2 amazing step-families, so I can't complain there. Anyways, my childhood was so perfect and innocent that I actually believed everything ended with a "happily ever after." Boy, was I wrong! No one told me that the real world was this awful. Now that Spring semester has started and the students are back in town, I find myself envying these kids. Going to work at the same place five days a week for the same amount of time each day has me feeling like a robot. I have become a monotonous, routine follower. After work, I come home to an empty apartment and try to find things to fill my day. Lately, it's been this little quest of not eating products from factory farms. However, it hit me that no matter what I do...even if I quit eating animals all together (which I have a feeling this will lead to)...nothing will stop the big corporations from doing what they do. It doesn't mean I'm not going to continue what I started, but the food industry won't end with a "happily ever after." How disheartening is that?!?

I know people will say, "Well, when you get into a job you love, you won't mind going to work every day." I'm sure that's true, but I'm a looooonnnnggg way from that day. Looking for a job right now is a job in itself, so where's my "happily ever after" with that? And don't even get my started on relationships. When I was growing up, I believed that relationships (even friendships) end with a "happily ever after." Give me a freakin' break!

Someone should have taken off my rose-colored glasses and sat me down when I was younger and told me the truth. It has taken me 26 years to realize exactly what it is: The real world sucks. Your life will not turn out how you dreamed it would. Being married and having children by 23 years old is impossible. Oh, and, the beloved pet you had as a child will eventually die and you'll miss her every day of your life.

Now, if I had heard that as a child...I probably would have been traumatized. Haha! I'm not going to lie. But at least I wouldn't have been disappointed when things didn't turn out how I expected them to. I'm not looking for advice or answers or thoughts of encouragement. I really just want any parents or future parents or people who eventually will have kids to know that you need to let your children know how the real world works when they're old enough. Growing up and believing that bad things don't happen to good people is just...well, stupid. I know I should be thankful for what I have - a great family, a roof over my head, a job with a decent income - and I am! I really am. But man, I'm just down in the dumps right now because I didn't expect things to be this hard. I'm sure every recent graduate has gone through these thoughts of doubt. I just needed to write about them instead of bottling them up inside.

*Sigh* I feel a little better now. I hope I didn't sound like a spoiled little brat. I know there are people out there who would kill to have my life. It's just one of those days I guess, and thankfully I can express myself on here and hope that none of you judge me for what I write. Anyways, thanks for reading, and I promise my next post will be a lot happier!

3 comments:

  1. Ok, here comes dear old dad's response.
    Paragraph 1: don't stop doing good things. Remember the starfish story: "it made a difference to him". (Let me know if you don't know the story)
    If you're bored its your own fault; sorry. That's just a parent talking but it really is true. Get involved to the point that you wish you had some time off.
    Paragraph 3: It just doesn't work to have someone tell you "the truth". You won't believe it. You have to get out there and fall down and pick yourself back up and experience life. PART of the world sucks; the rest is incredibly beautiful. Just don't let the bad parts get you down.
    Paragraph 4: I guess I was in college before I finally learned someone didn't like me; it was a hard lesson since it was my major professor. I was very naive. Did I want to know that in jr. high? No, I don't think I did. I liked my rose colored world. There is plenty of time to deal with life's realities; don't rush into it! Talk to your sister; she will give you some insights along these lines.
    Like I said before it sounds like you need involvement (remember the Charlie Brown Christmas?) And I mean involvement in the right kind of things.
    Also you've got to be patient. If you apply yourself and use the talents God has given you you will find your place in the world. It won't be easy; it rarely is but, before you know it, you will turn around and be looking back on your life...just like your dear old dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there - things will get better. You have a lot to offer someone out there. Get out there and find them.
    Just remember you have a lot of people that love you.
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good things happen when you least expect it. Make each day count and you will be surprised what happens.
    David

    ReplyDelete