Wednesday, January 12, 2011

We are the Champions, my friend! And we'll keep on fighting till the end...

We are the Champions! We are the Champions!
No time for losers cause we are the Champions...of the (college football) WORLD!

Queen is stuck in my head right now after Auburn's win in the BCS National Championship Monday night! I can't believe my hometown gets to bring home the title this year. Wow!!! Getting to see shots of Toomer's and downtown Auburn before the game really tugged at my heartstrings. I always told everyone I couldn't wait to leave Auburn. Now, more than ever, I find myself missing it. I was definitely homesick watching the Auburn/Oregon commercial, getting to see all the Auburn people in their excitement for how this football season has turned out. I've always been a huge football fan, but this year, I found myself glued to the TV every time Auburn played or was even mentioned on ESPN. I was blown away with the talent we had this year, but every game I kept expecting us to lose. As an Auburn fan, you kind of become accustomed to things not going your way. Needless to say, it was an exciting (and nervous) football season!

The Championship game was, in my opinion, a little boring. It wasn't anything near the high scoring game everyone predicted or I expected. You could really tell both defenses had done their homework. Mike Dyer out shown Cam Newton - something no one expected, and Nick Fairley did his thing. To those questioning Fairley's style: you have to understand the kind of player he is. Fairley plays dirty and nasty and mean. It's something Auburn fans are not accustomed to. We're used to seeing that kind of style from LSU or Georgia. However, he plays with heart, so I can't bash him. Yes, some of the things he has done this season I do not agree with, but he lives and breathes football. I heard he spent 20 days looking at footage from Oregon's games, and it paid off! Despite everything, I'm sad to see him go.

It wasn't the most entertaining game, and besides Dyer's stop-and-go run to get us in field goal range with seconds to spare, it wasn't near the most entertaining Championship game. However, I shed some tears of joy when we won. I got to read posts from friends that were able to attend the game. One of my friends actually got engaged at the game to her longtime boyfriend! As an Auburn fan, it was surreal to get to witness history 53 years in the making! News will come Saturday on whether Cam will choose to stay or not...fingers crossed!

Something I have noticed is how classless and mean some people have been about our win. I've seen numerous posts on Facebook from various fans from other teams in the SEC who are saying nothing but negative things about Cam Newton, our team, and the town of Auburn. Some people really just perplex me with their attitude towards us. Oh well...all I can say is War Eagle and War Damn National Championship! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment